Monday, November 23, 2015

Log Home & Timber Frame Construction Simplified

This simply should not be the case. Timber frame is an incredible construction method. It surpasses block building by a country mile in both comfort, sustainability and it also has a much smaller carbon footprint. Always good for the environment.

I began to find pennies resting on the ground and every time I picked them up I thanked the universe for listening and for answering my prayers. Pennies soon turned into dimes. I began finding dollar bills that had been tucked away in pockets. Sometimes there was a stack of bills with fives and tens. Special offers, refunds and a lower mortgage payment all kept us floating along. We continued to be grateful for the support we received even though our credit card debts were escalating. We continued to keep the faith and focused on coming through the other side, productive and thriving. Life went on, I published my first book and I too continued to work, often without pay.

What other benefits do you get from this form of gardening? Let's see... there's the removal of soil problems, greatly improved pest and weed control, the above mentioned ease of access and the increase in your crop harvest.

These are just a few of the things I've learned about heating our home with wood. I think even if we lived in my brand new timber frame home dream house, I'd still consider wood as a primary heat source. It's versatile, renewable (at least in our part of the world), it's been deemed 'carbon-neutral', and for me, it provides a connection to all my ancestors, who had nothing but wood to heat with.

So now that you have chosen your jamb you will want to get your hinges and door handle. This is a personal choice depending on your home. Also your timber studs some screws and some construction adhesive. You will also need some builders bog for filling any visible screw holes, and some packers.

This seems obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people still have single paned windows and big air spaces around their doors. Especially in old houses, which you'll likely find on properties you might be considering for your modern homesteading adventure. We live in an 80-plus year old log cabin, so spent quite a bit of energy ensuring all the cracks and crevices were filled with insulation and chinked. It does still have single paned windows, though, so replacing them with triple-glazed wood windows is on our list of renovations for next spring. In the meantime, we've installed storm windows on all the lower windows. Seems to do the trick.

domestic solar electricity, solar power-, timber frame wood

No comments:

Post a Comment